We are like Hansel and Gretel, leaving bread crumbs of our personal information everywhere we travel through the digital woods.Gary Kovacs
Happy Coffee Share morning. Thanks for hosting us, Natalie! Join me for a cup of caramel laté or your favorite drink.
I just learned something just this second about putting in accents (like in laté). You probably know you can use an alt key and a code. But I did not know you could turn on your number lock key and press ALT and 130 to get the accent on the é. So easy!
Mid-April Weather in Prescott
If you were here having a laté, we’d stay inside rather than sitting on the patio. High winds (up to 50 mph), temperatures in the mid-60s ℉. It’s been perfectly not great walking weather. I thought Puppy Girl was going to be blown away the other day even in her pink princess coat with a furry hood. I was cold in my winter jacket zipped up and the hood over my head because my ears ached. But we got most of our steps in.
Once you lose yourself, you have two choices: find the person you used to be, or lose that person completely.H. G. Wells
WOTY Curating for Total Fitness
This week Puppy Girl and I earned the Fitbit New Zealand Award walking 990 miles since I got my watch. YAY! Even so, our walking was way down. We also got the Happy Hill Award – 10 floors in a day, with a lifetime 747 Award for 4, 071 floors climbed. Then I pulled weeds. Whew!
There are so many ways to exercise your spirit. These are three things I’ve done to feed my spiritual life this week.
- Prayer for those in need
- 17 year old diagnosed with inoperable brain cancer
- a friend broke his leg riding a motorcycle
- friends who have lost a loved ones
- war in Ukraine and the Ukrainian people
- Celebrate Holy Week
- Read Gloria’s post on Rambles of a Raring Writer for some obscure traditions. Very fun.
- Sing and be thankful – I’m so happy that my voice is back after being without it for months. It’s not gorgeous, but I can do better than squeak out two or three notes.
Mind – Reading & Blogging
Little kids’ minds are very, very strong. They bend. There’s a lot of tensile strength and they don’t break. We start our kids off on things like “Hansel and Gretel,” which features child abandonment, kidnapping, attempted murder, forcible detention, cannibalism, and finally murder by cremation. And the kids love it.Stephen King
I have been reading (slowly) the book by Thomas Foster called How to Read Literature Like a Professor. One of Foster’s major points is that all stories have within them ghost images and nuggets of stories from the past. This could be advice for writers as well. Some of the best influencers found in the literature are Shakespeare, the Bible, Grimm’s Fairy Tales,and other famous children’s stories, and Greek and Roman myths. Throughout this post, I have sprinkled quotes about the most well know of all fairy tales, Hansel and Gretel. When you read Story Chat, have you ever noticed any gems for other books?
I have wanted to take pictures of doors downtown for a long time. Today was the perfect day weather and time-wise. The wind had quieted for a few hours in the morning. As I got out of my car, my camera poised for my first door picture, a lady started to walk in front of me on the street and stopped.
“If you go one block to the theatre, someone will take you on a tour of the inside for free. AND, they are dressed in costume.”
It doesn’t get better than that!
Mind-Boosting Challenges That Inspired This Post
Archives of Yellow and Purple
Social – IRL (In Real Life)
Surprisingly, I do have a real life.
- This week I went to breakfast and out shopping with my dear neighbor Cathy at the Apple Pan restaurant Downtown.
- Had a DEXA scan to make sure my bones are still as strong as they were when I ate Wonder Bread to build them as a kid.
- Nursed Nutter Butter back to health. He has gained about 1.5 pounds in the last two weeks. We think that he might have been poisoned by the disinfectant used to clean the litterbox and floor.
- Inspected all Vince’s hard work in Scottsdale. It now has a quiet air conditioner and furnace.
- Enjoyed a mini-vacation tour at Taliesin West in Scottsdale.
Soon Hansel and Gretel came to a little cottage. When they got quite near, they saw that the little house was made of bread and roofed with cake. The windows were transparent sugar.” “There must not have been a very strict building code.Charles M. Schulz
Coming up on Always Write
- Story Chat – one more week to comment on Anne Goodwin’s amazing story, “The Power of Verticality.”
- PPAC Some big cats are drooling to meet you!
- WQW How do you celebrate this Easter/Passover season?
- I will be taking a short break from April 25-May 9th. Feel free to link to my latest posts for PPAC and WQW and I will check your links and read posts as my phone cooperates. I will be back to posting on May 10th.
Now It’s Your Turn
Happy Easter everyone.