#noblopomo Day 12, WordPress Photo Challenge: Tiny
Most men started driving when they were tiny.
Maybe women do too, but in my world cars were a way to get somewhere, not the destination. Not in my husband’s world. Cars were the destination.
In Woodlake kids drive tiny cars on the street one day a year. The Kiwanis Club hosts a Soap Box Derby during Rodeo Week in May.
Kiwanis checkers insist that drivers are 8 years old, but we know that some tiny racers have slipped by with their parents’ permission.
A crowd gathers to watch the tiny drivers race. Even the golf cart looks big in comparison.
How it works first time up:
- Kids and parents check in.
- A Kiwanian asks for the child’s driver’s license, and the kids stare back without a smile. Parents grin sometimes.
- Elementary teachers and parents
conflict oververify their grade level.
- The child puts on their safety helmet.
- They trudge up the ramp and step into the car.
- The Kiwanis pusher holds the car until the race begins.
So Far So Good!
Gravity does the rest of the work.
The kids soon learn that one car goes faster. They do not get to choose which car they drive.
The next time they race, they are brave. The race lasts about an hour depending on how many kids show up.
The Kiwanis‘ motto is “Serving the Children of the World.” This is one of many fun ways that Kiwanis of Woodlake serves the children of our community.
Other activities include:
- Toys for Joy – making sure that all children have a present for Christmas.
- Dictionaries for all third graders. (Kiwanis and Rotary)
- Special Olympics Bowl-A-Thon
- Miracle Mile of Quarters – to raise money for the Children’s Hospital
- HOBY Conference Scholarships
- College Scholarships
- Outdoor Environmental Education Scholarships
- and much more
If you would like to help us or join Kiwanis, please contact me email@example.com.
Kiwanis is a tiny club in a tiny town of ranchers, farmers and farm workers. At last count I think there were 19 members working tons of volunteer hours each month.
If you would like to help Kiwanis to spread the word about what they do for the community of Woodlake, CA, please share this post with your friends and groups.
For more thoughts about tiny, click here.