Do you have enough readers?
This post is not for you, then.
Is your mom the only one reading your blog? Won’t your husband or best friend even read it?
Don’t give up on blogging yet!
Follow these FIVE TIPS to get you started.
- Keep the post to ABOUT 500 words. (This is HARD!!) That’s not too long to bore people, but it’s enough that people can get acquainted with you. People need to know what makes you interesting. People read your blog because they like something about YOU. Word of mouth sells blogs and books alike even if they cost nothing.
- Stick to what you know best. Include details that few people know that are unique about your piece. This is true no matter what you write. If you don’t know something, research it.
- Improve spelling and grammar. Proofread, edit, cut out adverbs, and unnecessary words, misplaced commas, and check spelling AGAIN. Sometimes the WP editor is NOT correct. Grammarly helps. A few minutes spent with Google or Yahoo checking information is better than publishing incorrect information or misspelled words. Remember to give credit where credit is due. If someone else finds an error, correct it!
- Spend time daily to read, like and comment on people’s posts. Care about what happens to those people in life. Make your comments positive and fairly short. If they inspire a post, create it and send them a link in their comment box.
- Pictures, videos, audio files add interest. YouTube videos helped me do more than I ever dreamed it would – from putting in a widget on a website to learning how to do a mail merge. If your blog is a teaching blog, videos are very helpful. Your phone takes videos good enough for online viewing, and it’s fun to capture the moment. I took the video below when I ventured out of my hotel in San José to have dinner in the lobby. You never know what you might see. If you don’t snap it then, it’s gone!
What tips do you have for new bloggers? Share them in the comment section, or paste a link to one of your posts.
If you enjoyed this post, please share it!